Atlanta-Gwinnett Upward Bound
What is Upward Bound?
Upward Bound is a federally funded educational program and is one of ten TRIO programs at Georgia State University. The program provides fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program also provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher educational pursuits. Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor’s degree. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.
What Does The Program Offer?
The program works through individual grants, each of which covers a restricted geographical area and provides services to 60 students annually. The program provides:
- Academic instruction in mathematics, laboratory sciences, composition, literature, and foreign languages.
- Tutoring, counseling, mentoring, and education or counseling services designed to improve the financial and economic literacy of students.
- The opportunity to participate in a six-week summer residential academic program on the campus of a major university.
- Educational field trips which supplement classroom activities
- Ability to use the computer center, sports facilities, library, and other campus venues.
- Cultural enrichment activities such as visits to museums, plays, and art exhibits.
- Programs and activities that are specifically designed for students who are from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in postsecondary education.
Who Is Eligible?
9th, 10th, and 11th grade students from selected schools in DeKalb County are eligible for the program. Students must meet the first-generation and federal income requirement guidelines. Students who are homeless children or youth, students who are in foster care or other disconnected students are eligible for the program. Students will be required to receive recommendations from their school counselors and teachers.
Project Target Schools include:
How do I Apply?
Download the Atlanta-Gwinnett Upward Bound Program here. A complete application consists of: application, recommendations, income verification, and a copy of an updated transcript. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please note that submitting an application does not guarantee admission into the Upward Bound Program.